Friday 17 October 2008

The journey and the destination


A breakthrough, of sorts.

I think that one of the reasons I haven’t been as prolific on this blog as I would have liked is that I'm too self-critical. Whenever I think about posting, I manage to convince myself that I need a beautifully formulated idea all ready in my head that just has to be tapped in.

Maybe it comes from my routine for 'real' writing: I build up an outline and scenes very gradually, and tend not to commit anything to a proper draft until it's already in a fairly coherent form. I still leave room for spontaneity and surprises, but I handle the brainstorming and creativity in one part of the process and then start editing with my 'first' draft.

Anyway, earlier this week I was commissioned to write a quick preview of the new series of Have I Got News for You? And, after a heavy few days of other freelance stuff and BFIing, I sat down to write it at around 11pm on Wednesday with absolutely no idea of what I was going to say.

So, I just started writing.

One thought led to another, and gradually I started to form an argument (of sorts). I still thought it was a bit ho-hum by the time I'd finished, but the notoriously criticial sub and the channel editor both emailed to say they liked it, so I must have got something right.

So, that's the approach I'm going to try and take for this blog. I'll sit down, start to tickle the keyboard* and see what comes out.

Audience member: What's it called?
Miles Davis: I'll tell you when I've finished.


*Maybe this is more common than I think, but I actually find the sensation of typing very pleasurable. As a doley victim of Thatcher, I used my underclass status to blag free typing lessons off Chorley Borough Council. As a result, I can now type pretty much as fast as I think (insert your joke here) . I can't stand the sound of my voice, but I love the sight and sound of words filling up the screen.

No comments: