Friday 22 July 2011

Torchwood: a bit of a rethink

When I reviewed the first episode of Torchwood: Miracle Day last week, I think I got a bit carried away out of sheer relief that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. 

I did have a few reservations that didn't find their way into my review, though.

For instance, while the action sequence on the beach was suitably spectacular, it didn't really belong: I was waiting for it to be over so we could get on with the story.

I also had my doubts that the fiercely protective Gwen would carry her baby through the middle of a firefight, no matter how 'cool' an image it created.

And I wasn't really paying a lot of attention whenever the American characters were on screen: those bits just seemed like generic filler and I was waiting to get back to the UK characters.

Anyway, any doubts that were lurking in my mind were pushed to the fore during last night's episode 2, a lot of which left me cringing.

Probably the worst of it was the protracted scene on the plane where they conveniently cobbled together an antidote for the poison that Clearly Sinister Asian-American CIA Agent administered to Captain Jack.

There was also a classic exchange between Captain Jack and Agent Tracy Jordan that went along the lines of:
Captain Jack: Slovenian men used to take arsenic in the 1800s for their complexion.

Agent: I know - I read about it.
No you didn't.

And let's not even start on yer one walking round the airport with her head on backwards without anyone apparently batting an eyelid.

It now looks like the series has definitely taken a big step backwards from the high point of Children of Earth. I'll probably give it one or two more episodes to see if the Big Idea develops in a more intriguing way, but I'm not expecting great things. 

Oh well. At least Entourage is back next week.

No comments: